Saturday, November 21, 2009

Slow road to somewhere

I'm waaaaay behind on my novel. I did manage to get a few more words down on paper (or computer as the case may be) so at least I'm working in the right direction. I'll give you a small snippet of a conversation between two of my characters. Without a back story it won't be much use to you, but what the heck I'll let you suffer along with me. You don't know where it's coming from and I don't know where it's going.


“So where are you taking me?”

“I thought we’d drive around for a bit, get to know each other a little better.” This surprises me but I try not to show it when I respond to him.

“My suspicion is that you already know more than you should about me and I know not nearly enough about you so maybe you should go first.”

“Well, let’s see, I’m twenty three years old, six foot five, two hundred thirty five pounds and I’m an Aquarius.”

“This isn’t e-match Romeo, I don’t need your stats. I need to know what makes you tick.”

“Beautiful, independent, smart women who make a living collecting would be on the top of the list.”

“Again, not a dating resume. Also, again, I’m old enough to be your mom.”

“Only if you were a teen mother.”

“Either way, the facts still stand. So, how did you get to be a collector?”

“That’s a long story for another day. How bout we start with something a little easier?”

“Fair enough. From your earlier reference, I’m going to make a wild guess that you went to ASU, so what did you major in?”

“I ended up with a Master of Architecture degree.”

“You “ended up with”? You make is sound like you went to get ice cream and they accidently screwed up your order with a Master’s degree. I could see how someone might “end up with” a degree in something like women’s studies or interior design. But not architecture, that takes effort.”

1 comments:

Jitterbugdoll said...

You are so funny! I love your writing style; can't wait to read the finished novel.

By the way, I gave you a blog award :-)