Friday, December 11, 2009

It's a Thingy!

So, after much searching, I found a tree topper like the one of my own sweet youth. It's called the "Bradford Carillon Spire Tree Topper with Angel Hair" and was from the 1950s - 60s. The photo below is of the tree topper I remember that is being offered on etsy by Carmen & Ginger, a blog for the vintage lover in all of us.



You can still get them on ebay and other auction sites, but they all seem to have other colors along with the silver. I only remember it being solid silver but my memory could be faulty. Also, most of them are missing one or all of the bells that hung on the topper. The other thing is that some of them are the "electrified" version, they plug in. Ours definitely did not plug in.

I asked Mister C if I could buy one and he said fine but the problem was finding one exactly as I remember. It's really unfortunate that the original is gone as it was (in retrospect) probably the thing I most remember about the Christmases of my childhood.

So that's it for my trip down memory lane. If I find an exact replica I will probably buy it just because. I guess I'd like to pass on the tradition. Which tradition is that you ask? The one of "Oh look! It's the tree topper thingy! What the heck is this thing supposed to be anyway? Oh, you don't know either? Okay. Hey Dad, can you put the thingy on top? Oooohhhh!" Master J would totally get into it, I just know it.

0 comments: