Wednesday, November 10, 2010

And so it begins

I hit a weight loss plateau yesterday. I do my weigh ins on Tuesdays and this week? I didn't lose an ounce. So today I did what I said I would do once I hit my first plateau, I exercised. I know, I'll give you a minute to recover from the shock.

I headed out to the nearby mini-mountain and started walking the trail backwards. That is to say, starting at what is usually the end for me, not me physically walking backwards. Although come to think of it that would probably be really effective for working out my legs. If I didn't kill myself in the process.

Anyway, I did the trail backwards and then (since I was so intent on WORKING OUT!!!) I decided to run the downhill portions. Which worked great. Except for those first fifty steps wherein I was forced to channel a thug as I constantly had to pull up my pants to prevent a wardrobe malfunction. Once I realized there was no way I could make any kind of progress while my pants insisted on heading for lower altitude, I pulled off the trail and tied the heck out of the drawstring to make them stay put. Then started again. After I got around the whole trail (with the exception of the highest peak part, I'm not a complete idiot), I decided to walk the steps.

There's an outdoor theater type thing where Easter sunrise service is held for some church and it's right at the bottom of the mountain. There are about ten tiers of stone and concrete slab seating. So I started at the bottom and walked up, walked a few feet sideways and then walked down again. I did this across the whole seating area. This took about fifteen minutes and really works out the thighs. I know this because I believe I could smell them burning up. Although that also could have just been friction.

Then, because I have no sense at all, I decided I still needed "more". So I put my jacket (which I totally didn't need) and my water into my car and started walking on the park road that leads to another parking lot. When I got there, I ran back to my car. And then I drove home. As a side note, it is somewhat difficult to drive a standard when your legs start really shaking.

Keeping in mind that my normal level of exertion is somewhere between "none" and "seriously? I have to walk all the way to the fridge myself?" my suspicion is that I'm going to be feeling this tomorrow. If you don't hear from me, it's most likely because I can't crawl to my computer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it's a good thing I didn't go with you after all. There wouldn't have been any burning thighs. Our jaws would have been sore from my trying to talk you and myself out of this exercise nightmare:-)I'm proud of your workout today,you are doing the program right and will be very sucessful.

Bo said...

I'm right there with you. I didn't do well last night, and fear my three-week losing streak is in jeopardy.

Stay with it. Don't give up.

Mirth said...

@Bo-Thanks and back at you. It's a day by day (or meal by meal) deal. Oh to be 20 again and be able to eat nothing but fast food & big gulps, never formerly work out and never worry about gaining an ounce.