Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cough, cough, cough

I do believe Master J may just be coming down with something. They sent a note home Monday saying that the kids had been exposed to strep. Only they used the whole big word because they're not lazy like me. This morning, when I got up and stumbled to the kitchen in search of my morning wake up call, I noticed that his light was on. I didn't think too much of it as he usually gets up no later than 6:00 am and can usually be found reading in bed. I went about my normal routine of preparing my cup of coffee and collecting my newspaper from the driveway (I know, how quaint!) Now normally, once Master J hears me in the kitchen, he comes out to greet me. So far, no Master J. I emptied the dishwasher and put together his lunch and his backpack. No Master J. By this time it was 7:40 so I went ahead and made his breakfast of scrambled eggs with cheese & ham and a bagel with cream cheese. I set it all out and went down to let him know it was ready. And when I looked in at him, he was in bed, completely passed out. And it took me almost a minute to wake him up. Which is highly unusual. Not only does he wake up early most days, he also has the curse of being a light sleeper like me. Normally if you look at him he wakes up. The most I ever have to do is say his name very quietly and he jumps up. So to have to go over to him, sit on the bed and shake him while talking to him is never a good sign. Anyway, he woke up and said his throat hurt. I checked but there wasn't any redness and he didn't have a fever so like a good mom, I sent him to school. He was fine in school as well. But when I got home from class, he was walking around the house dressed in his pajama bottoms and his bathrobe (looking a little too much like Hugh Hefner I might add) and telling me he thinks he sick. Still no temp and no redness in the throat but he has managed to cough a few times and it was enough to make me get out the humidifier. So, hopefully, we aren't being struck by illness. Hopefully he's just a little run down and will be feeling fine by tomorrow. He was pretty ornery before bed so that's usually a pretty good indicator that he's fine. But if he's overly quiet and compliant in the morning, it's going to be a long few days.